It is very important for your WordPress website to load fast. Nobody wants to surf a site that is boggy slow. Despite what your site has to offer, if it takes too long to load, people will move on to a more faster site. The following tips will speed things up for you:
1. Minimize how many plugins you use. Ideally, you want to keep under 10 plugins if all possible. Delete all inactive plugins.
2. Use a cache plugin such as WP Super Cache. Caching stores recently-used information in a place where it can be accessed extremely fast. This also helps minimize your server's CPU load.
3. Too many ads can majorly slow your site and be counterproductive. Some offsite ads are much slower to load than others, so you just have to play around and find a happy medium. Flash ads are very catchy, but comes at a price.
4. Optimize images through compression before uploading to your site. Use thumbnails whenever possible and stay away from large images. Don't use offsite image services like Flickr, try to host them all from your server. Videos linked from YouTube is the exception due to the back link rewards and their fast servers. You don't want your server's CPU to be in a constant strain processing your videos.
5. Minimize widget usage. Try hard coding them into your theme whenever possible. This may be inconvenient, but you'll gain much needed speed.
6. Move your site to a faster host. If you're currently using Shared Hosting and can afford to step it up, try using a Dedicated Server for your site. I'm personally using BlueHost Shared Hosting for Cyberhawk Designs. I have tried GoDaddy and Dreamhost, but found them lacking in performance. BlueHost is very quick and for the price, you just can't beat it. Try it: HERE